Thursday, September 6, 2012

What are you exactly?




Churchill Mark I's?

As my voyage of discovery continues, I opened another box today to find these. So far as I am aware these are Mark I Churchill tanks, which only saw service at Dieppe - but I'm not enough of a tank fancier to be certain of that identification. I bought them in a discount shop in or around 2001 or 2002. They were made by an Oriental company of some description* and I presume that they are a copy of another more finely finished kit. The fit on these was aweful, but I bought the lot because they were ridiculously cheap, at about £2 per kit. These may predate the Euro, I'm not sure about that.

As I said, the fit was awful and I did actually think them together with UHU rather than superglue, simply because it fulfilled the joint function of gluing and filling gaps.



The tracks held on by a staple through each one

Unless I want to play a Dieppe scenario, which I'm not entirely sure I do - I'm not convinced that there is anything I can do with these fellows. My modelling skills wouldn't be up to the task of adding mudguards and so forth.

We shall see.


Another wonderful Kinch paint job

This is a Cromwell  tank so far as I can tell or maybe a Comet. I absolutely caked this kit in paint - though in my early wargaming period scheme of "Allied tanks were green, right?" I just slathered it in Goblin Green and then covered it in Ork Flesh wash. This kit despite the abuse heaped upon it, isn't looking too bad and is probably salvageable.

In other news, Mrs Kinch is improving by leaps and bounds. The wargames room still looks like a bomb hit it, but is I think turning a corner, particularly with regard to the storage of terrain.

*A very kind chap on The Miniatures Page suggested Lee models as a possible source.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

9 comments:

  1. The Churchills are indeed the Mk1 - the Hasegawa kit or if they are moulded in a garish bright green plastic, nasty Chinese copies of the Hasegawa kit. The Comet is the splendid old Matchbox kit. Was that your full confession or is there more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Churchill 1 - it has a 3" howitzer in the hull. The other looks more like a Comet.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news about Mrs K. My apologies for previous silence on the matter, I seem to have been a sleep at the keyboard composing good wish notes in my head and not sending them. Hopefully the progress will continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross - I think the trick at the moment is not letting her get ahead of herself.

      Delete
  4. A few Churchill I's were still in service with the North irish horse when they arrived in Italy in 1944

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Interesting, I think my Churchills may have found a home.

      Delete
  5. I bought MkIV turrets from S&S and added them

    ReplyDelete