Wednesday, March 27, 2013

British armour


A collection of British armour

I've been wiling away the odd hour assembling part of the collection of British armour I've gathered since Christmas. The Plastic Soldier Company Shermans were from Rosbif and the other armour were from my Secret Santa. The Secret Santa was excellent fun and well done to Ian and Cath for organising it.

I was casting around for information on how to dolly these up which led to a rather frustrating trip to the box room with a lot of coughing and spluttering. Now say what you like about the Flames of War chaps - but they do know how to run a website and while it wasn't quite the same as being able to poke away with my Osprey in front of me, there was some very useful information there.

Amongst other things I found;


Armourfast Achilles with stowage from S&S

I've decided that I'm going to (probably vainly) attempt to emulate the sort of gypsy look that you see in pictures of late war British armour. Lots of tarps, bundles, small packs, jerry cans and so forth. If I could find a bicycle anywhere I throw it on the back. The Achilles in particular look a bit empty and my spares box isn't overly blessed with tank crew, so I'm going to have to improvise. 


Armourfast Cromwell with a Plastic Soldier Company tank commander

Making tarps, camoflage nets and so forth out of green stuff is not beyond the wit of Kinch, so there will be plenty of that. I've been ransacking by bits box for other pieces, which I will add with time. In a rare fit of order - I also collected all my decals and filed them away in a cigarillo box, along with a cigar box for stowage. Though in terms of stowage, I seem to be using it as fast as I can find it.




A Plastic Soldier Company Sherman with a HAT tank commander

I've also taken the opportunity to have a bit of a clean out - so keep your eyes peeled as there may be spare figures going a begging. If you've any particular stuff that you want or have to trade, let me know in the comments and I'll see if I can sort you out. Myself I'm looking for assembled British Second World War  artillery (though Napoleonics, Crimean figures and anything suitable for VBCW would also be welcome), though if you're reading this you've probably about as much idea as what I'm looking for at present as I do myself. 

8 comments:

  1. Glad to your Shermans in the flesh as it were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get the show on the road relatively shortly.

      Delete
  2. A good source of Britsh turret crew for the Armourfast M10/Achilles are spare Airfix 25pdr gun crewmen. Very easy to chop up and wearing helmets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remember that - I'm negotiating with a chap at the moment over some kits.

      Delete
  3. I keep meaning to fill up my Achilles turrets by sticking a gun breach in there. If you look at the real thing it should be well visable from above. I actually bought all the materials I need to build a decent set, but have been terminally lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added a breach in each case. I've found two lads that might do the trick for one of the Achilles at least.

      Delete