Monday, August 12, 2013

Elheim BAOR


I took delivery of some Elheim BAOR, but I need some Royal Military Police for a scenario. The Military Police are often overlooked by wargamers because their work takes place behind the front line, but in a Cold War Gone Hot scenario front lines don't quite mean what they used to. In the event of a Russkie attack, the RMP would take up duties including, but not limited to.

- dealing with refugees
- traffic control
- prevention of desertion/crime
- protection of VIP
- dealing with prisoners
- ensuring that soldiers have proper haircuts, shiny boots, etc. 


These are two Liberation Falklands War era British who have had a change of regiment. I very much doubt that the red beret would have been worn under operational conditions, but clarity when gaming, it certainly helps. These two were painted using the DPM technique showcased by Mark over at the excellent Winter of '79 blog. I should probably add a cap badge to the beret or something. 



Crew for FV432 from Grubby Tanks

These are nice figures. Again painted up using Marks tutorial. I'll be gluing the commander (left) into the wagon, but the other two who are designed to stick out of the rear hatch will be added to a 2 cent coin. 



Another view, I'm quite pleased with how these turned out. Perhaps not quite as sharp as Elheim, but they are still nice figures. I'm a little apprehensive about the Grubby Tanks FV 432, not because there is anything wrong with the model. Entirely the opposite, its very nice indeed and I hope I don't bugger it up. 


A GPMG gunner and a chap with an SLR from Elheim's BAOR patrolling pack. 

I love these figures.  They have bags of character, the features aren't oversized and they aren't running around like headless chickens, just two professionals out patrolling.   




Three more lads out patrolling. I mixed in some guys with plain green trousers rather than DPM as that appears to have been a common occurence, at least from what I can tell from photographs. I was in two minds about the furniture on the SLR, but from what I can tell most of the SLR were black plastic by 1979, though I've seen one or two wooden ones. 



Another view. 

An idea Krisztian introduced me to is the painting stick or in these case cork. This has been a revelation and I only regret I didn't start doing it sooner as it makes the miniature much easier to get at. Again, I like the no-fuss appearance of these figures. Very low key. 



A shot from the rear

I mainly took this to show the web, which is very similar to the sort we were issued with in the Reserve. '58 pattern, I believe and in this configuration it was known as C-FO. I can't remember what the C stood for, but the FO stood for fighting order. The other configuration was C-MO, which added an awkward pack to the yoke at the back. C-FO was great for running around in and you completely forgot about it after a while. I presume as mechanised infantry their packs are with their vehicle, which I would imagine would be the case most of the time.  

So far so good. The best part of a section done and not looking too shabby. 

6 comments:

  1. Section looking very good indeed.I am tempted to try the cork/stick idea too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these a lot, as you say loads of character

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really isn't my era, but I have to admit, I'm curious to see how it turns out.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fine work young Kinch. Top drawer, in fact. As you say, the patrolling poses are quite refreshing in their realism.
    As for what the RMP would wear as headdress, if it was anywhere back of the fighting area, then my guess is that they would wear the red beret for maximum visibility. Every soldier knows to stop misbehaving when he sees a chap with red on his head, just as he knows to smarten up when he sees someone with a pace stick under his arm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CEFO- Combat Equipment, Fighting Order. (as opposed to Full Marching Order, which was with the addition of the "Large" pack). Looking good, sir, crack on!

    Cheers
    Iain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, couldn't help notice your RMP's whilst searching for something about them on the net. I was in 160 Provost Company RMP based in Aldershot from 1982-1986. Thought I might clarify a couple of points you raised in your post dated August 12 2013 (LOL bit late). You are correct in their list of duties as sited. Both figures shown have a point worth mentioning. The white guy I believe is carrying a bulbous looking SLR? If so, these were NOT carried by MP's. It was either SMG & Pistol with 1 x LMG attached to each section. The black guy is interesting. There was only one in the whole corps when I served and he was at Aldershot, so that figure would have to be he or repainted if a BAOR figure. 160 was not a BAOR unit but attached to 5 Airborne Brigade and were quick reaction, athough we did have a reinforcing role to travel to Europe if the balloon went up. Finally the beret. believe it or not, unless the time was given to get the helmet on, MP's would be in the beret most times at the front. Hope you find the info of use and great to see MP's painted up.
    (Vince Hughes, ex-RMP 82-86 and still wargaming)

    ReplyDelete