Saturday, November 9, 2013

The War Room Updated


The first picture on the wall

More work on the War Room - the skirting boards are done and all that remains to do is to sand, wash, stain and varnish the floor.  Then I'll have to build a table. But most of the books are out of the dungeon, I've been up and down the trap door like a jack rabbit for the last few days. Things are in no sort of order and are all abit higgledy piggledy, but I'll sort that out given time.  


Empty boxes that once held books

Emptying the box room is proving useful as we'll be stripping that next so that it can be turned into a study. I'm also considering adding some pins to the support underneath the bookshelf pictured above so that I can hang my hat collection underneath 'em. 


Mr & Mrs Kinch on holiday 
(bucket and spade out of shot)


In other news, Mrs Kinch and I will be away to Berlin at the beginning of December. Mrs Kinch is very keen to do the Christmas Markets and see the Zoo, but I might squeeze a few hours in unsupervised so I was wondering if the assembled company had any suggestions as to good model shops in Berlin or something of Napoleonic interest. We will be travelling with my parents in law and my mother in law has told me that we will be visiting a place that sells death masks and that no War Room is complete without a bust of Napoleon and possibly a death mask of Frederick the Great.  

Any suggestions will be gratefully received, but may not be heeded. 

12 comments:

  1. Game room is shaping up nicely! Shelving looks quite stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cant help on the holiday question but the room is looking fantastic great work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid room old chap.I am particuarly drawn to the high shelves as a cunning storage plan.
    Berlin sounds great.I think one can often but miniature houses at these Christmas markets which would work well as scenary. Re shops Berlinner zinnefiguren is the obvious choice - a veritable Alladin's cave for the hobbyist I'm told...
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very pleased with them, though there will have to be a sorting out so that the books that I like, but don't need that often go up there.

      Delete
  4. http://www.zinnfigur.com/index.php?language=en&osCsid=q3oq9alujb2b1a5sgl5qft1d47 seems to be the best place in Berlin , not visited it but have done mail order through them - have a nice time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on the room! I especially like the bookshelves. Very nicely done. Do you do house calls?

    Have you ever seen the original stage version of Caberet? Not quite the glitz of Hollywood but both good.

    I see my suggestion of Berliner Zinnfiguren has already been moved and seconded. Not only do they have a treasure house of things toy soldier-ish but not seen every day and excellent service but every time I buy from them they mail me periodic colour catalogs which keep me day dreaming for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do - but sadly my father in law, who is responsible for the shelves does not.

      I've only seen the film version - though I quite liked the book. Though to be fair I was always intrigued by how Sally was meant to be a very bad singer. They obviously skipped that bit in the movie.

      This Berlin model soldier shop sounds wonderful - I hope it lives up to the legend.

      Delete
  6. I don't know. Having Fritz string at the back of my head would probably put me off my feed. Though I suppose his eyes would be closed . . . .

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well - we shall see. My father told me sotto vocce of course - that I was on no account to buy a bust of Napoleon before Christmas, unless I wish to greatly upset my dear mother.

      Delete