Thursday, July 10, 2014

Soapy's Sci Fi Deck Officers


I wanted some 28mm science fiction figures that weren't waving around swords or giant guns.  These boys can be found manning a Star Destroyer or other vessel in a galaxy somewhere near you. These come from Woodbine Miniatures Science Fiction range.  and I think they're pretty good. Very simple sculpts that painted up nice and quickly.  


To be honest, the most difficult thing about these chaps was picking the right palet
te. They were sprayed grey and then given a wash of black ink. I dry brushed over that with standard army painter grey and then did a few highlights with some grey with a few drops of white. 

The bases were done with pva loaded with sawdust from the shed.  I'm not entirely sure why these fellas are outside on an alien planet, but I couldn't make the base grey as well, it would have looked terrible. Be that as it may, the red base seems to have done the trick. 


I like to think of my Star Ship crew as being the spiritual descendants of these guys. 

Note: Apologies to all those that commented on my previous post - due to my sausage fingered incompetence I managed to delete the comments rather than approving them when they came up on my phone. Apologies again. 

11 comments:

  1. Nice figures, nicely done - but 'Planet Chilli Con Carne' bases ? Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bases are great - they pop against the grey, but make the latter visible, if you take my meaning.

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the thinking behind it. They needed contrast.

      Delete
  3. Nice work! I concur, it's not easy to find sci-fi guys without absurdly oversized weapons. They may not have a complex design with plenty of details, but they work more than fine for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very happy with them. You're absolutely right on the ridiculous weapons front.

      Delete
  4. Very nice...love the unusual bases too, excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like them. It's a pity they beamed down to the Planet of Molten Lava, but I'm sure those Space Boots are lava rated. The three underlings appear to be wearing some advanced form of Google glasses.
    If you are true to current trends in SF cinema, you'll need some nasty buggy things to chase them through the lava fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kit issued by the Evil Empire(TM) is top notch. Gucci kit I assure you squire.

      Delete