Sunday, August 27, 2017

Out and about with the Kinchlets

Mr. Barry Sullivan, Actor. 

I haven't been as active as I would be normally, for a variety of reasons, but one thing I try to do is take the Kinchlets out for a walk every day.  This gets them some fresh air, tires them out and does at least delay my inevitable transformation into someone's fat Dad. A decent tramp is good for the soul and one of the places we've gone several times is Glasnevin Cemetery.  This is a large cemetery and well worth a walk around.  



A name in marble as well as in lights. 


Look at that profile!

This chap is Mr. Barry Sullivan, originally from Warwickshire; he was born to Irish parents and had a long association with Cork. He began a stage career in 1837 and made a name for himself as a Shakespearean.  He toured extensively particularly in the US and Australia.  He was apparently one of the finest actors of his generation, though the Australian Dictionary of Biography states that he was inclined to err on the robust side. 

 

Which always puts me in mind of this. 



Monument to fallen Dublin Metropolitan Police Officers

Prior to independence, Ireland had two police forces, the RIC (Royal Irish Constabulary) who policed the countryside and were armed and the DMP (Dublin Metropolitan Police) who policed the city and were unarmed.  I always have a soft spot for old coppers - so we have dropped down to this monument a couple of times. 


The Roll of Honour



Grave stone of Constable Lahiff

Next to the monument is the grave stone of Constable Michael Lahiff who was killed during the 1916 Rebellion. 


Inscription

DMP Crest


Lahiff was shot at St. Stephen's Green (another favourite haunt of the Kinchlets) which is a wonderful park and well worth a visit.  During one of our last visits, I took a snap of the plaque which describes the shooting.  Please click on the picture to enlarge it, if you wish to read the text.  





12 comments:

  1. Interesting post and I am pleased to hear news of the peregrinations of your good self and the Kinchletts.How is Mrs Kinch?
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is on the mend. It's a painfully slow process though. I am mainly occupied with ensuring that she doesn't over extend herself.

      Delete
  2. Are there plans afoot to pull down the Sullivan statue by the vicariously offended?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully his critics are buried with his fame.

      Delete
  3. Nothing like a long walk. During summers, I try to have one myself each evening after dinner.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like wandering around cemeteries - in a non-weird way I hasten to add !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wasn't aware there was a non weird way to do it. I have my favourites - the non-Catholic cemetery in Rome is one I'm very fond of.

      Delete
  5. Always a solemn visit, cemetaries. I didn't realise that's what Con Markievicz had done. I knew the Yeats poem, but not beyond that. Anyway, hope the Kinchlets are bringing you much joy!

    Best wishes,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are bringing great joy indeed and not an inconsiderable expenditure of shoe leather.

      Delete
  6. Interesting read, I find it lovely to discover new things :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was unaware the RIC was an armed force. That's an interesting wrinkle to the shadier side of my family history.

    ReplyDelete